"Surrounded by parkland trees, lawns and gardens, Ridley Hall has a very attractive setting. From here there are walks along both sides of the river Allen, which joins the Tyne below Ridley Bridge, constructed in 1792."
Water Of Tyne. T H Rowland. 1991
A handsome stone arch bridge of 1792 and built by Robert Mylne. The bridge crosses the river on the minor road off the A69 leading to Ridley Hall, once the seat of the famous Northumbrian family of Ridley. Ridley Hall is a rebuild of 1891 of an earlier hall dating from 1773, which passed to the Lowes family and then to the Bowes-Lyons who had it rebuilt.It is now a residential education centre. The bridge gives access from the A69 to the Hall and to the nearby attractive hamlets of Beltingham and Willimoteswick.
Just east is the River Allen, one of the major tributaries of the Tyne, and there is a very pleasant walk from the car park and picnic area near Ridley Hall up the Allen Banks to Plankey Mill, a very popular spot with a footbridge over the deeply running river. Further upstream is Staward Peel where the Allen divides near the Cupola Bridge.