The Redheugh is not so famous as the other great bridges linking Newcastle and Gateshead but it has always played a vital part in the transport system. The present bridge is the third on the site, the first was opened in 1871, the second, a reconstruction, in 1901 and the third in 1983. With the inadequency (it couldn't be used by double decker buses as an approach road bridge had insufficient clearance) and decay of the second bridge it became necessary to replace it, and plans were published in 1967. After much delay work went ahead for the Tyne and Wear County Council in 1980 but using a different design to the earlier proposals. Mott, Hay and Anderson, who worked on the New Tyne Bridge fifty years earlier were again the designers, and Nuttall/HBM were the main contractors.
The bridge is just 25 metres east of the old bridges and the road deck gives the illusion of being the highest on the whole river, as unlike the other bridges there is no part of the structure above the deck. This makes traffic vulnerable to high winds, which sometimes force closure of the bridge. The piers are fluted or grooved. There are four road lanes and one footpath on the east side. Gas, electric, telephone and water services are carried within the box structure. The span lengths are unusual for a beam bridge. The old bridge remained in use until the new one was opened and then demolished. The Redheugh links the western part of Newcastle and Gateshead centres and provides a link to the A1 south and north on the Gateshead side. There is a 50 mph speed limit on the bridge. Redheugh is pronounced locally as Red-yuff.