"Near Eals is a fine two-arched stone bridge - the arches wide and high to avoid blocking by debris of floods. A flood of October 1829 did great damage."
Waters Of Tyne. T H Rowland. 1991
A fine stone bridge at a small settlement consisting of a few farm buildings. Knarsdale and the main A689 road can be reached by crossing here, on the minor road from Coanwood. The east side of the river is wooded with the Eals Fell rising behind, and a footpath goes along the bank, while at the other side the valley is flat for a space before the hills once again crowd up towards the old railway and the road.
The bridge suffered great damage in a flood of 1829 but is built high with wide arches to avoid damage from debris. One arch has been rebuilt at some time. Early in the twentieth century the bridge parapets were often damaged by vehicles, due both to its narrow width of 10 feet and to the sharp turn at the approaches. A new steel and concrete bridge was proposed in the 1960s but not built and the old bridge is now scheduled as of architectural and historical interest. The road was not considered suitable to be part of the all-weather route following closure of the railway, but was closed for repairs in 1972 while a temporary bridge was erected downstream. A footpath was provided when the old bridge was then widened and Northumberland County Council received a Civic Trust award in 1975 for the high standard of workmanship involved. Grade 2 listed.