The last railway bridge on the South Tyne, and the first bridge in Cumbria, this viaduct, called the Tyne Bridge, being part of the Alston branch line from Haltwhistle until closure in 1976, is again in use by the South Tynedale Railway. It crosses the river half a mile north of Alston at a moderate height. The railway rose over 1000 feet in 13 miles.
The South Tynedale Railway has reinstated two and a half miles of the line as a narrow gauge railway from Alston to Kirkhaugh with further extensions possible.
For more information see the website of the South Tynedale Railway Preservation Society