"Lambley viaduct is within a few feet of the height of the high level bridge at Newcastle, and is a fine object from many points.
The Tyne and its Tributaries, W J Palmer. 1882
This is one of the most impressive structures anywhere on the Tyne and is well worth a visit. It was built in 1852 for the Alston branch of the Newcastle and Carlisle railway and trains brought lead and coal down the valley to Haltwhistle station for transhipment. The thirteen mile branch line also carried passengers. The viaduct spans a steep sided wooded valley and excellent views can be had from the top. Grade 2 listed.
In 1996 the viaduct was restored and is approached from Lambley village via a footpath leading downhill to the river where the pillars can be explored at river level. It is 800 feet long, the centre spans are 110 feet high and the bridge is 11 feet wide. The top of the viaduct is reached by climbing a stairway built onto the viaduct's side. A plaque with some details of its building is at the southern end, while at the other end a board provides information about the railway and its surroundings. Another source of information is the website of the South Tynedale Railway Preservation Society