One of three bridges built over the Tyne west of Hexham as part of the Newcastle to Carlisle Railway. It is on a bend of the river some distance west of Haydon Bridge on the edge of a wood in a fairly inaccessible spot. Originally built of timber to a design of John Blackmore and dating from 1838, it was replaced by an iron girder bridge in 1866 at a cost of £3126, a temporary wooden bridge being erected meantime, as the original was in a poor condition. Railway number NEC-2/93.
Another (originally of Blackmore's design) bridge nearby crosses the River Allen, a major tributary of the Tyne, near Ridley, erected at the same time when the course of the line was slightly altered. The railway passes through pleasant countryside and the Tyne's windings can be followed as the railway is never far away.