Bridges On The Coquet


The old bridge built in the late 18th century replaced older bridges destroyed by flood waters in 1744 and 1752. It is a fine bridge with three arches and of a pleasing light-coloured stone. Steep hills on either approach and its narrowness resulted in frequent vehicle damage to the bridge and this made necessary the building of the new bridge which lies downstream. Timber piles are visible upstream from a previous bridge. Pierced spandrels reduce weight but on occasion can allow flood waters to flow through the bridge which is Grade 1 listed.. In 2008 flood waters flooded the cellars of the Anglers Arms on the north bank.

On the north side stands the small village of Weldon Bridge and the old fisherman's hostelry The Anglers' Arms occupies a prominent place on the north bank of the Coquet. A mill once existed upstream, closing in 1964. Weldon Bridge is approached from the north down a steep hill lined with houses, (see photo below).

 Weldon Bridge Facts

Constructed - late 18th C
Type - arch, stone, 5 arches.
Position: Weldon Bridge, Northumberland.
Grid Ref: NZ 1398 985
 Weldon Bridge
 Weldon Bridge

© Bridges On The Tyne 2008