""Almost three miles south of Durham is the medieval Sunderland Bridge across the Wear. It consists of four round arches of which the two centre ones, with five ribs, are ancient. In the roadway are recesses constructed over the breakwaters. It is first mentioned in the year 1425 and Leland (1540) describes it as having three arches. The bridge was partly rebuilt in 1769 and widened in 1822 after a mail coach accident in which two passengers were thrown into the water and killed. The bridge can still be crossed, but a modern bridge a few yards away now carries the Great North Road across the river."
The Bridges of Northumberland and Durham. Frank Graham. 1975."
This is a medieval bridge, much rebuilt and widened in 1822. There may have been an earlier bridge and the present bridge may have been erected in the 16th century replacing an earlier one of a century earlier. it was partly rebuilt in 1769. There are pedestrian refuges and massive cutwaters on the upstream side. It is quite narrow, only 18 feet wide between parapets and is Grade 1 listed and one of the most handsome on the Wear. The medieval bridge was from the 15th century and had 3 arches.
Sunderland Bridge village is just over the river before reaching Croxdale further up the hill. It no longer forms part of any through road. From the bridge can be seen the other two bridges at this point on the river, Croxdale brige to the east and the Croxdale railway viaduct to the west.