A new bridge replacing a road bridge converted in 1947 from an old railway bridge of 1853 which served Page Bank colliery which closed in 1931. The road bridge was damaged during floods in 1967 and was closed. Page Bank bridge is on Whitworth Road from Brancepeth to Spennymoor.
Page Bank was once a small mining settlement but most of the residents left in the 1960s. The new bridge was built for Durham County Council by John Mowlem Construction and is slightly downstream of the old road bridge. The designer and engineer was D.J. Newbegin and the bridge was officially opened by Prime Minister Tony Blair in 1996. A Roman bridge may have existed here. The Weardale Way runs along the north bank of the river here.