A fine stone bridge, Grade 2 listed, with cutwaters and pedestrian refuges. It replaced the older bridge washed away in the 1771 floods which destroyed many north east bridges. In the interval between the two stone bridges a temporary wooden bridge served.
Improvemnts and restoration were carried out in 1996 and the wider bridge was reopened then. It is still one-way traffic controlled by lights. The railway to Stanhope passes under the bridge at the north end, the station is just to the east. Meadows on the south side overlook the road which gives access to various settlements.