"Traquair House. The epitome of traditional Scottish Domestic architecture, Traquair's great charm stems from the fact that, unlike many other historic Border seats, it has been neither classicised nor Baronialised. Indeed the exterior has hardly changed since the Treaty of Union (1701), although the well-preserved interior contains some exceptional decorative schemes of mid-and-late Georgian date."
The Buildings Of Scotland. Borders. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett.2006.
A replacement for a timber bridge of 1830 by James Jardine it is an iron bridge on 3 stone piers. There is a small stone arch at the north end. The engineer was R S Anderson and the contractors were Robertson and Co of Workingon. it links the A72 with the village of Traquair via the B709. Traquir House nearby is open to the public and worth a visit.
There was a ferry here at one time. The bridge is controlled by traffic lights and there is a footpath. Category C(S) Listed.