"A beautiful red sandstone bridge of fifteen segmental arches with Doric columns on many of the cutwaters."
The Buildings Of England, Northumberland. Nikolaus Pevsner. 1992.
Also called The Old Bridge, it was begun in 1611 and completed in 1626. Built of red sandstone it is 1164 feet long, 17 feet wide and 45 feet high at its highest point above the river. It is low-lying compared to the railway viaduct and traffic is one-way, from north to south, with narrow footpaths and pedestrian refuges above the cutwaters. A timber bridge existed here in the 12th century and was probably the first of several before the present bridge was built. It is Grade 1 listed.
On the north side are the Quay Walls and the red roofs of the old houses make a fine sight. The town slopes quite steeply up from the bridge and the Elizabethan fortified walls can be walked, with views of the town and out to sea. To the south is Tweedmouth, which also rises steeply away from the river and has a distinctive character.