"An act of Parliament of 1768 provided for the construction of a road from Lauder to Carter Bar (A68), following the general route of the Roman and medieval roads. The crossing over the Tweed has collected its fair share of impressive bridges and a railway viaduct."
The Buildings Of Scotland, Borders. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett. 2006.
Replacing the old bridge just upstream this is a modern steel box girder bridge carrying the A68 over the Tweed at a higher level from St Boswells to Earlston. It is situated near where the Leader Water meets the Tweed. There may have been a Roman crossing here and a ferry existed at one time.
The bridge was designed by Sir Alexander Gibb and Partners and built by Miller Construction (Northern) Ltd; steelwork by Clarke Chapman Ltd (Sir William Arrol Branch). The bridge was prefabricated and assembled on site.