Among the more interesting bridges on the Tees, Winch (or Wynch) bridge is a suspension footbridge which owed its existence originally to the Holwick lead miners who used it to get to the lead mine at Little Eggleshope in the fells to the north. It is situated at a pleasant spot near Low Force and spans a ravine overshadowed by trees. The original bridge was suspended on hand-forged wrought iron chains, and reportedly had only a single handrail on one side as support. Built in the mid-18th century it collapsed in 1802 when a chain broke and a man was drowned. The repaired bridge was replaced in 1830 with another suspension bridge, financed by the Duke of Cleveland, its maintenance paid for by the miners' subscriptions. It has 2 spans and the chains are suspended over cast iron columns and the footway is of timber. It sways somewhat when someone crosses. The bridge was strengthened in 1992 and is Grade 2 listed.
Winch (sometimes spelt Wynch) bridge is much used by walkers and visitors to nearby Low Force. The Tees may be seen flowing swiftly through the rocky gorge under Winch Bridge and the Pennine way passes on the south side.