"This sense of timelessness and tranquility is also evident at Girsby, where a handful of cottages stand close to the tiny All Saints' church. Built in 1838 with a simple nave, bellcote and chancel, it has box pews giving space for sixty worshippers."
The River Tees. A North Country river. R. Woodhouse. 1991
Girsby footbridge is reached down a steep path from the quiet hamlet of Girsby which consists of a few cottages and the small, 19th century All Saints Church. The bridge was provided by Theophania Blackett, widow of Sir William, of Sockburn Hall to give access to the church. She was then granted exclusive use of the then existing nearby bridge at Sockburn.
The land on either side of the Tees here is farmed and the bridge is located in a valley, though the slope on the side opposite Girsby is much more gradual. This is another pleasant part of the river and a world away from busy Teesside. The bridge has 5 spans and the wrought iron girders are supported on cast iron trestles set in the bed of the river. Designed by Thomas Dyke of West Hartlepool. There is a plaque on the bridge which states 'Bridle Bridge'.